The Bike
Zinash has wanted a bike pretty much since we brought her home from Ethiopia. Thanks to my sweet parents, we were able to give her a scooter, but a bike just wasn't in the budget. We said, "You can put it on your wish list for Christmas," so she did( along with a dollhouse and half the toy section at Target). She made it clear, though, that the bike was at the tip top of the list.
We spent Christmas in Illinois with Chuck's family and then spent some time after Christmas with my family in Nebraska so we didn't give the girls their "big gifts" from us until we got home on January 4th. Chuck created a little scavenger hunt for Zinash that led her to her helmet (which she already was using with her scooter) and a white envelope inside. She opened up the envelope and it had a picture of a bike. She looked at us kind of confused at first but once we explained that she could help pick out a bike for herself she screamed with joy and ran around the room saying, "This is the best Christmas EVER!" It took a few weeks for she and Chuck to find just the right bike but in the end she got her wish for a purple bike.
Of course, the next challenge was figuring out how to ride it. I'm so thankful that Chuck took the lead on that one because he did a fabulous job of teaching her.
One of the first things he said to her was, "You're going to fall today because everyone who is learning how to ride a bike falls, but it will be okay and you will be alright." She was not thrilled with that idea and almost tried to back out of the whole deal, but Chuck convinced her that it would be worth it. They started on the grass so that the falls would be cushioned. We saw one of her friends at the park and her friend said, "Don't you know it's easier to ride on the sidewalk?" True, but the grass is a much friendlier landing pad.
Phase One of Operation Bike Riding
After Zinash had developed some confidence and ability to balance, they moved over to the sidewalk. She did remarkably well for her first day of bike riding and only had one major spill where she couldn't figure out how to stop and crashed into a small tree and a bush. She only got a couple small scratches but it scared her and she wanted to stop after that. Chuck wisely told her that she needed to ride at least once more before we left the park. I'm so glad that he did because I'm not sure we would've gotten her back on the bike another day if she hadn't had a couple successful rides post-crash.
Phase Two of Operation Bike Riding
As I watched the second video later I realized that Mihret said to me, "My throat feels like it's going to throw up." My response? "Oh dear....Look at her go!" Think I was distracted? Oops...probably not my "Mom of the Year" moment. In the end, though, Mihret was fine (in spite of my response) and Zinash learned to ride a bike thanks to great effort on her part and wise instruction from her Dad.

Labels: 'Modern' Strawns, Mihret, Parenting, Zinash


7 Comments:
WAY TO GO, ZINASH!! So exciting! I also got a big kick out of the mom-of-the-year line. That kind of thing would happen in our house too. We just were looking at your Christmas card this morning and Abby Jane wanted to call you (at 6:00 a.m. your time) and talk about a few things. We decided later would be better. We would love a phone date or skype date sometime, though- it would be fun to let the girls skype!! Love y'all!
Emily, that would be sooo fun! Let's plan a time to skype soon. We definitely miss you all!! And thanks for convincing AJ to call later in the day. Mihret would have been all for it but I would have been a little groggy. :)
WAY TO GO ZINASH !!!
Thanks for this wonderful post, Carrie! It is hard to be so far
away from the children, especially during the firsts, and other big moments of their life. You pictures and videos make it a little easier.
Nana and Papa love you both, Zinash and Mihret! XOXO XOXO
That was great bike riding, Zinash!!
Good Job, Chuck, on being the teacher!! Grass is always better to learn on!
And Carrie, as far as the "mom-of- the-year" line...I just figured that Mihret was really okay and just wanting your attention, so, that is why she said what she said. I know if she was REALLY sick, you would responded differently.
Your reaction sounds like something I'd say when one of my kids come up to me with a complaint...to which I'd reply: "Oh, that's nice" to which they are like, "MOM, did you hear what I said? I'm bleeding..."...probably not since I'm cooking dinner...lol..of course then I follow that situation up (once I'm paying attention) with a "Go find your dad!!" lol...you know me and blood!
Love you all! :)
I remember when Jordan was 5 and grandpa taught her and the neighbor girl to ride in the big yard on Maple drive. Then when Janae was 4 I came home from work to find her bike with no training wheels. I asked Jordan who was 7 where they were and she said I taught her to ride she doesn't need them. I was unconvienced that a newly 4yr old could ride a bike but sure enought Janae said watch and jumped on and off she went! Fun times!
I also see that I am logged in under my wonderful almost 13 yr old daughter....hence the sign on name cutie
Oh and I loved watching the videos I think I might have to get a video HUM! Mihret is soooo much like Janae just more outgoing around strangers but still soo much alike. Janae has been playing school teacher since she was little as well and still swears that she will be one someday or if that doesn't work out a doctor, or maybe a nurse, but wait she still wants to be a waitress or bag grocerys at the store.....such ambitions Janae!
Post a Comment
<< Home