Thursday, January 17, 2008

Life in the Stroller Lane

This past Sunday, January 13, marked the 2 month mark since we were united as a family. Two months...wow! It feels like we were in Ethiopia just a couple of weeks ago, but at the same time, it feels like Mihret has been with us much longer than 2 months. In any case, it seems like a good time to reflect on my first months of motherhood.

Mihret is reflecting too...hmm...

My life is definitely different than it was a few months back. I always wondered, what do stay-at-home moms do all day? Well, I'm pretty sure that I don't have it all figured out yet, but I can tell you that it is definitely the most all-consuming "job" I've ever had. But it isn't a job. It's my life. And it's a good life - amazing and exhausting at the same time.

One of the things that is most amazing about being a mom is learning who Mihret is and finding ways to help her continue to develop into the person God made her to be. I get to spend a lot of time playing with Mihret and watching her discover the world around her. What a privilege! She is fascinated by anything new - anything that she hasn't "figured out" yet. Once she's explored it to her satisfaction, though, she's not all that interested anymore. Fortunately, when you're 9 months old, most things are new.

What can be cooler than a box?

Unless it is an Official Voter Information Guide...

Or Mom's camera case (Don't even think about trying to get this back, Mama!)...

Or a swing at the park...

Another thing that I've loved about the last two months is watching Chuck be a dad. He's such a loving father. Mihret giggles and smiles and squeals whenever he gets home from work. She loves playing with her daddy!

Happiness is Being with Daddy
(By the way, this is the first picture she posed for. Definitely the Shike influence...)

So what's exhausting about motherhood? Waking up in the middle of the night is tiring (fortunately she's sleeping better than she did at first!), but the thing that is most exhausting is just that it is constant. There's always something that needs to be done and someone I need to be thinking about because Chuck and I are responsible for a little one who can't take care of herself yet. Honestly, I don't get much time to myself these days (in fact, this may be the one of the longest periods I've been on the computer in the last two months!), but that's okay because a precious little girl has grabbed a hold of my heart.

Dressed Up for Church

When you have eyes like those looking up at you, the dirty diapers, the midnight cry sessions, the spit-up all over your outfit right before you walk out the door - all of it is worth it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Alatariel Anwamane said...

Hi, Carrie!

Isn't motherhood wonderful! It's the best and scariest feeling to know you're responsible for a little life. But, it's also the most rewardinig, I think!

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home